Hidden Lake Drive

Follow along as we design and build our custom dream home.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Backyard, Area A - An Update

When we last left off with Area A, we had just put down some grass seed and we were crossing our fingers that it would take.  Well, low and behold it has!

We have grass!

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

The Entrance To Our Woods

In this post, I talked about how after finalizing the purchase of the front 16 acres, we decided to move the location of our driveway to the opposite side of the property.  Now that we own the entire road frontage running the width of our property, we don't have to follow the legal road easement and can place our driveway wherever we want.  It was a no-brainer for us to decide to cut our driveway through the woods. 

Monday, April 23, 2018

The Backyard, Area A

Area A.
Might as well be called Area 51, because we had no idea what was going on in here. 


Friday, April 20, 2018

The Backyard, Area D

Area D. 

This spot wasn't too bad.  There was another load of lave rock, about 50 more large flat rocks, and a bunch of weeds that needed to be pulled; but for the most part, it just needed some love.  And then there was that random electrical safety situation to deal with. 

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Backyard, Area C

As I mentioned in the previous post, Area C was my nemesis.  This area is right outside the Converted Porch, so we assume the previous owners wanted to create a landscaped focal point in their backyard.  We could tell that they put a lot of work into this feature and it was not easy to disassemble; but it definitely needed to be.  This area featured a fake pond, surrounded by large flat stones, lava rocks, two fountains or bird baths (they were so damaged that we couldn't be sure) and some sort of large bush that was becoming a tree. They also had electricity running to the pond area that powered some in-ground lights and possibly one of the fountains.  At one point I'm sure it was nice, but at this point in time it had become unsafe. 

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The Backyard, Area B

I'm going to go a bit out of order from the picture showing the areas of work in the previous post. After clearing out big trash items such as loose fence posts, pipes, piles of old wood, garden stakes, random flower pots, and broken lawn chairs, we were able to start focusing on specific areas. We started out with Area B due to the fact that it was covered in Poison Ivy. 

Sunday, April 15, 2018

The Backyard, Part II

In the previous backyard post I gave you a highlight of the general areas of clean up and told you how we filled a dumpster to the brim with junk that we pulled out of the backyard.  In this post I wanted to give some details of exactly what we were dealing with.

Here's an aerial shot of the farmhouse and yard from the county website.

As you can see, there is a lot of stuff, so needless to say, we knew there was some serous cleanup that needed to happen. As we got to work, we couldn't believe our eyes, at almost every turn, we came across something that had obviously been in its current place for years, and possibly decades in some instances. 
Blogger Template Created by pipdig